Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Designers Job: How to Measure Up!

One very big part of my job which has been presenting to be a very large pain in the rear is measuring client's spaces for floor plans. When I meet with clients I really try to get my 'cute' on- I love wearing dresses and I am always sporting a cute pair of heels. Outfits are great for sitting and talking about design plans, inspirations, fabrics, etc but not so cute when I am stretching across the floor with my dress rising up and my wedges in the air trying to get accurate floor plan measurements. Don't laugh....it's not cute. I decided to turn to my trusty peers on LinkedIn to see what nifty techy things they use to simplify this process.

Turns out that I am probably the only designer caught with my skirt up because I got LOTS of great advice and gadgets. And yes, I'll share....I'm so nice....

The first recommendation was an app. It is called MagicPlan and it is totally free. I have downloaded it and have played a little bit, but I am a little too old school to trust this method 100%. I don't know if I can go from graph paper and tape measure to a couple of clicks with my iPhone. I'm not saying it doesn't work...I'm saying I don't know if I can work it....do me a favor...someone try it out and let me know.

The second recommendation was this trusty gadget over at Amazon...Leica DISTO D2 Laser Distance Measurer. It seems like a fool-proof laser replacement of the tape measure with a couple of bells and whistles. At $179 it is a consideration....for my birthday. (I am a Virgo and would totally appreciate a useful tool for my birthday.....by the way....I think I told you already that I bought myself a rolling tool box for Christmas.)

Leica DISTO D2 Laser

The third product that was recommended was the Bosch DLR130K Digital Distance Measurer Kit
This one is small and weighs about 5 ounces which is important when you are wearing high heels...if it is too heavy it might cause me to tip...also not cute. It is also a lower price point...at $77.39 I could get myself this and a new pair of heels for my birthday....
Bosch DLR 130

Then in my trusty Googling I came across this one which is the cheapy in the group but doesn't seem to sacrifice in its bells and whistles:Zircon Ultrasonic Measure with Laser Targeting I don't know if I can trust my floor plans on it but it seems to do it all!



Bottom line is that if you spend any amount of time taking measurements, it seems well worth your time to invest in one of these handy-dandies. I am thinking that I might try the Bosch (got it, honey? start ordering!) It would be well worth the investment if it gets my skirt back down where it belongs and keeps my privates....private.

1 comment:

  1. Wow those are some fancy gadgets. Whatever makes it easier must be great though.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for stopping by and sharing!