Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Choosing the right chandelier!

I have been on the hunt for the perfect chandelier for my client. She recently purchased an elegant round pedestal table in a warm brown finish paired with black chairs with cream upholstered seats. The dining area is an open floor plan leading into the living room outfitted with a gorgeous black grand piano. While I wanted something sparkly to add a bit of wow to the dining area, I also wanted to see if I could incorporate one more hit of black to tie it all together....But first they have to have the right specs:

When choosing a chandelier, here are three key measurements:
Width of chandelier: should be 1/2 the width of the table. A 60" round table needs a 30" wide chandelier.
Height of the chandelier: The appropriate height would be determined by the ceiling height. You should use the ratio of about 2 1/2 to 3" for each foot of ceiling height. 8' ceiling would accommodate a chandelier with 20"-24" height.
How high to hang: This addresses my biggest pet peeve- chandeliers hung too high!! The bottom of the chandelier should be about 30" above the dining table. At this height, the chandelier is still visible as part of the table decor but high enough to allow for conversation and practical living.
Now if I could just find the right specs and the right style for my client's home..Loving any of these?
Shades of Light

Love this one from Shades of Light but it is a bit too small for this table!
Lamps Plus
This is a better size and I love the black crystals but my client will curse my name every time she has to clean it! I think I would be kissing referral business goodbye with this one!
1st Dibs
Also loving this art deco antique from 1st dibs! Well, looks like I have a lot of shopping ahead of me and while I love shopping online, I think I have to hit the pavement for this one.....
Any great lighting sources that you could recommend? I am up for some fresh shopping!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the first chandelier. The second one looks like the adult version of the chandelier in my two year old daughters room. Tres chic!
    Char
    The Epic Adventures of a Modern Mom
    http://1epicmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to pick a chandelier....there are just too many to choose from and too expensive to keep changing your mind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sherry- I completely agree...still haven't made a decision yet!
    Char- the second is divine...if it came with a cleaning lady!
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for stopping by and sharing!