Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

The shoemaker's son has no shoes...the decorator's daughter has no curtains!

So you have heard the old saying 'the shoemaker's son has no shoes'? Well, I am going to confess that we have a case of 'the decorator's daughter has no curtains'. I am ashamed to admit it since I spend much of my time shopping and making decorating decisions for my clients but when it comes to my own home...I procrastinate making any decisions....so I make no decisions. Ok, before you judge.....let me give you a little background on my home and its current state.

My husband and I bought our house just four short months before walking down the aisle. It was back in 2002, when the market was a fantasy-land and people were getting into bidding wars over homes that were practically about to be condemned. Needless to say, we won the bid on our house (a very sweet raised ranch that was neat and clean and smelled GREAT!) which we so sweetly nicknamed 'Big Red'. (You guessed it smarties...it is a red house!) The house needed some updates at the time which we tackled when we had the time and the budget allowed.
Fast forward 9 years and we have had two beautiful babies and most recently a fur baby.While we have continued to update and decorate over time, my hubby and I have been on the hunt for our next home for about the last 5 years. While 'Big Red' has been good to us and is filled with many wonderful memories- we are ready for the next step and for a home with a layout and character that suits us better. Needless to say, with one foot out the door, my commitment to decorating and updating this home has been lackluster. Working often as a home stager, I know that any major money we put into our house will not be regained upon selling. So, this is why the decorator's daughter has no curtains. Window treatments are a bit of an expense and while I do realize that I will take them with me when I move, I also know that my moody side of decorating might want a new look for a new home.
Anyway....I share all that to say that, since I have resolved that we are going to be in this home at least another year, I am ready to finish up some of the rooms I have left incomplete....but on budget. And that is what I will be tackling over the next two weeks. I am going to finish up some lingering DIY projects, style some of my rooms the way I would like them to be and I am going to do so in the most frugal way possible. We just had most of the house re-painted so that leaves me with some big blank walls and a reluctance to re-hang the same stuff.
Here are some of the projects on my punch list:
Just bought these curtains for my daughter's room....now I need to spice them up....hmmmm....the wheels are turning!

I also ordered this mirror for my hallway to add a bit of character.....

Have been loving this lamp in Sundrop yellow for sometime and decided I will still love it in a new home so....it is on its way to my bedroom!

I also repainted my previously light blue kitchen a cool yellow so all the pics and accessories need to be restyled. Including this new shelf I just hung...(mine is currently bare!)

Sooo...you can see I have my work cut out for me the next few weeks....you'll probably see quite a few DIY posts along with amateur photos taken of my progress. I am rolling up my sleeves and getting to work.....after one more cup of coffee!!

6 comments:

  1. Found you over at The Mustard Ceiling. I've added a link to you in my blogroll at http://www.imagesouthfineart.com/blog/.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your projects, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I know how you feel about decorating a home that you're planning on leaving soon, we are in the same boat.

    Thanks for linking up today at the Mix and Mingle party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am participating in the link party at The Mustard Ceiling, and your blog is right before mine. Just wanted to say hello and that I sympathize - I am the wife of a carpenter, so sometimes we call projects complete when we hit 90% or it takes us a loooong time to start on something. I am really looking forward to seeing how you finish things up in the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm visiting from the Mustard Ceilinng party. It looks like you'll be a busy lady...I can understand your dilemma, good luck with everything I'll be following along to see all of your great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, I have just come across your blog via The Mustard Ceiling. I love the lamps! I will be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting you from your comment on my post - thanks for stopping by!

    I love that saying. I use it often at home. I'm the wife of a potter and I still don't have my own dinner plate set from my husband! ;)

    Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for stopping by and sharing!